In 1832, the first school house was built in Sinclairville. Prior to its existence, pupils were taught in a log cabin which was built by Major Sinclear in 1810. This one-room red schoolhouse was a frame building with a continuous desk and benches placed along two sides.
During 1880, the Union School District was formed.2 A brick school house was dedicated and opened in 1881. It was admitted to the University of the State of New York, ranking as a Junior School. Professor E. M. Wood was the principal. Approximately 150 students attended the first year.
In 1924 another village school building was built at the same sight.3 The construction costs totaled around $80,000. It was used to instruct two section of pupils in grades 1-6 and a special class.
The schools in Cassadaga, Stockton, Gerry and Sinclairville became a
centralized district in 1938. The Cassadaga Valley Central School was built
to accommodate students, teachers and administrators from the four villages
for grades 7-12. Currently, the Cassadaga Valley Middle-High School instructs
students in grades 6-12. The elementary schools from the four villages
were consolidated into two elementaries: one in Sinclairville and the other
in Cassadaga. The Sinclairville High School was converted into the Charlotte
Villa, an apartment building for elderly residents.
See what Sinclairville looked like in the 1800s
A Murder Never Solved....
The Old Stone House
Village of Sinclairville
Sinclairville Free Library