As dairying improved on the nearby farms and more interest became manifested in agricultural pursuits, farmers became more prosperous. Farmers, however, did not co-operate for many years and each manufactured his own cheese and butter. Ashel Burnham was the first to change the regular order of this by opening, in 1865, a large cheese factory in Sinclearville. It is believed to have been the largest in the state at this time. Mr. Burnham made 7,250 cheeses, each weighing approximately 60 lbs. during that year.
Many cheese factories and creameries were in abundance in Sinclairville. The above photo is of the creamery located on Lester Street.
See what Sinclairville looked like in the 1800s
A Murder Never Solved....
The Old Stone House
Village of Sinclairville
Sinclairville Free Library