Darwin R. Barker Library and Museum Director Search Opening: Darwin R. Barker Library & Museum Director
The Board of Directors of the Darwin R. Barker Library Association seeks a creative and energetic director with strong leadership ability to provide quality library and museum services to residents of Fredonia and the surrounding communities. The applicant must have a strong vision of how library and museum services will be delivered in the future. Duties include recruiting and overseeing staff to carry out the library and museum’s mission, creating and administering budgets, presenting funding requests, writing grants and raising funds, and developing and sustaining programs and services. The candidate must demonstrate strong cooperative leadership, management and communication skills and be able to work with a Board of Directors, staff and volunteers, as well as community agencies. Knowledge of computer applications for library and museum management is required.
Fredonia is a community of around 11,000 residents and is the home of SUNY Fredonia. It is located about 3 miles from Lake Erie, 25 miles from the Chautauqua Institution and halfway between Buffalo and Erie, PA.
Darwin R. Barker Library and Museum, along with the 1891 Fredonia Opera House, is the cultural center of Fredonia. As one of 36 libraries in the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Library System, it offers programs for children, a book discussion group and a museum dedicated to local history with archives, two research libraries and rotating exhibits. The library and museum have a wireless network, remote access to OPAC, and public access computers.
- MLS from an accredited institution
- New York State Public librarians Professional Certificate
- Two years successful library experience is required
- Commitment to professional development as demonstrated by participation in continuing education opportunities
Required Personal Abilities
- Values the importance of equal access to books, information and culture in a democracy.
- Thinks strategically and is well organized with the ability to schedule time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Is able to work well with adults and children.
- Possesses both a broad vision and attention to detail
- Is resourceful, enthusiastic and flexible and has the ability to motivate others.
- Treats others with honesty, empathy and respect
- Is open to creative and innovative solutions.
- Communicates clearly in written and oral form.
- Listens well and seeks to understand.
Salary range commencing at $40,000 and is commensurate with education and experience.
Start Date: March 2014
A letter of interest and resume with three (3) references should be sent to:
Darwin R. Barker Library, Attn. Peter Clark
7 Day St.
Fredonia, NY 14063
Ending date for applications: January 15, 2014