Job Title: Children’s Librarian/Librarian II
The Olean Public Library is seeking a full-time Librarian II to run our busy Children’s Department. Work involves supervising the children’s service staff, developing and directing children’s library programs, and selecting materials for the children’s collection.
- Trains, assigns duties, supervises and evaluates Children’s department staff.
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory service at the Children’s reference desk.
- Recommends, plans, implements, and promotes new types of services based on patron needs and early childhood development research. Develops and conducts programs, tours, and story times.
- Serves as liaison for library services to community groups and other libraries.
- Prepares reports of activities in the Children’s department.
- Evaluates, selects, and weeds library materials in the juvenile collection, keeping in mind current trends in children’s literature and education.
- Writes and implements grants.
- Keeps informed of professional developments through participation in professional organizations, library system meetings, workshops, continuing education courses and professional materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of children’s literature and programming as well as child development
- Experience providing early childhood or early literacy programming
- Ability to supervise the work of others
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with the public
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of computers, software applications and emerging technologies
Benefits: 12 paid holidays, 22 vacation days, 3 personal days per year, health insurance, and New York State Employee’s Retirement System. The 2014 hiring range for Librarian II is $37,488 – $39,003.
Minimum Qualifications: A Masters Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association; eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s professional certificate at time of application, possession of certificate at time of appointment; and two (2) years of professional library experience in children’s services. Supervisory experience preferred.
This is a civil service competitive title; therefore appointment will be made on a provisional basis only. To be eligible for permanent status, the individual accepting appointment will be required to pass a civil service exam and score among the top three.
Send resume by May 2, 2014 by mail or email to:
Tuesday, April 15 6:00-8:00 Family game night in the community room. We have some board games or bring your own favorite board or card game. (Some of the games we have: chess, scrabble, clue, horse monopoly, tic-tac-toe, and TriBond)
Wednesday, April 16 3:30 & 6:30 Free monthly movie - The Maltese Falcon. Sponsored by Frewsburg Pharmacy
Thursday, April 17 10:30-11:00 Infant & toddler story time
Thursday, April 17 11:30-2:00 Community room in use
Friday, April 18- Closed
Tuesday, April 22 6:00 Writers group meeting
Thursday, April 24 10:30-11:00 Infant & toddler story time
Thursday, April 24 11:30-2:00 Community room in use
Wednesday, April 30 6:30 Master Gardener program: Garden Art
Thursday, May 1 10:30-11:00 Infant & toddler story time
Thursday, May 1 11:30-2:00 Community room in use